sábado, 16 de febrero de 2008

Friendship...

Well, I’m here again! Trying to say something interesting… yesterday I tried to explain to my children the reason for sending cards and gifts on Valentine's Day and I told them the history about that holiday, did you know that it started in the time of the Roman Empire?... In ancient Rome, February 14th was a holiday to honor Juno. Juno was the Queen of the Roman Gods and Goddesses. The Romans also knew her as the Goddess of women and marriage.


The lives of young boys and girls were strictly separate. However, one of the customs of the young people was name drawing. On the eve of the festival of Lupercalia the names of Roman girls were written on slips of paper and placed into jars. Each young man would draw a girl's name from the jar and would then be partners for the duration of the festival with the girl whom he chose. Sometimes the pairing of the children lasted an entire year, and often, they would fall in love and would later marry.

It is an interesting history, but nowadays people have had different traditions to celebrate this holiday, for example:
Hundreds of years ago in England, many children dressed up as adults on Valentine's Day. They went singing from home to home. One verse they sang was:

Good morning to you, valentine;
Curl your locks as I do mine ---
Two before and three behind.
Good morning to you, valentine.

In Wales wooden love spoons were carved and given as gifts on February 14th. Hearts, keys and keyholes were favorite decorations on the spoons. The decoration meant, "You unlock my heart!"

In some countries, a young woman may receive a gift of clothing from a young man. If she keeps the gift, it means she will marry him…

Finally, let me tell you my friends, because I considered you my friends, that I really enjoyed our mini-party last Thursday. I thing It was the second time when we have had an activity like that. We should do it at least once in a semester. I think is a good way to improve our friendship. I hope that at the end of the bachelor we can understand our different personalities and we can have each other as a good friend…








1 comentario:

jazzman58 dijo...

Maricela,
I liked your last entry. Your English in general is really good. Just don't forget to write more often because otherwise you'll stay behind the assignment.